Image 1 of 1
The Chania Lighthouse is ideally located at the extreme end of the pier to the northwestern coast of Crete. This magnificent lighthouse has undergone thorough renovation. It was first built by the Venetians and is conspicuous by its cylindrical shape. The present one owes its origins to the Egyptians who built upon the original base that the Venetians left behind. The lighthouse is made of stone blocks. The exact date of its establishment is believed to be 1570. Although the lighthouse is no longer operational, it is still much preferred by the tourists who come to see this magnificent structure because of its historical importance. Only the grounds are open to the public. Entry inside the lighthouse is prohibited..It took a number of years to renovate the lighthouse.